The Importance of Being Selfless

Source: Pinterest

My generation is often known as the "selfish generation". We tend to think inwardly, choosing to benefit ourselves over others, thinking it will make us happier. Surely if I live to please myself, I will live a satisfying and thus happier life, right? 



I love the experiment in this video because it demonstrates the pure happiness that is found in the kindness we show to others. Putting others before our own gains, risking possible embarrassment or disrupting our plans to brighten someone else's day gives the most amazing joy that we can't get otherwise.

I'm totally guilty of being selfish– far more often than I'd like to admit. I think it's human nature. But I always try to remember the golden rule that my parents taught me when I was little– "Do to others as you would want done to you." I honestly think it is one of the most important life lessons I have ever learned.

It's definitely not always easy but I think it's worth it!

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment