Scenic movies: Woody Allen

I love watching movies! It's one of my favorite things to do, especially in the winter time! Lately, I've been watching a lot of Woody Allen films. They are so distinctively quirky and refreshingly different from your standard Hollywood blockbusters – which I love! But, the thing that I love most about Woody's films is the way he takes a location and somehow manages to transport you there through the screen! I liken it to watching a foreign film, just without the subtitles (for the most part– there are sometimes a few)!

If you have ever seen a Woody Allen film, you will know that they are not everyone's cup of tea– you either love them or you sit there confused, trying to figure out what all the hype is about! But, if you like films with a lot of stunning scenery, I would definitely encourage you to give one of his films a watch. These are some of his more recent ones...


'Midnight in Paris' (2011) is one of my favorites, probably because its set in the back streets and cafes of one of my favorite cities! The main character, Gil (played by Owen Wilson), is an American tourist on holiday in Paris, France with his fiance, Inez (played by Rachel McAdams). While wandering the streets alone at night, Gil is 'magically' transported back in time to the 1920s and adventure ensues!! 

Sourced from: Rotten Tomatoes

Sourced from: Sony

Sourced from: Sony

Sourced from: Sony

Sourced from: Sony  



'Vicky Christina Barcelona' (2008) is another goodie about two American friends, Vicky and Cristina (played by Rebecca Hall and Scarlet Johansson, receptively), who are holidaying in Barcelona, Spain. They both fall for the same man, Juan (played by Javier Bardem), which causes problems for their friendship. However, Juan seems to have his own problems in the form of his mentally ill ex-wife (played by Penelope Cruise).

Sourced from: Listal

Sourced from: Listal

Sourced from: Listal

Sourced from: Listal

Sourced from: Listal



I am also looking forward to seeing 'To Rome With Love' (2012) when it comes out here in December. From what I've heard and read, its about a group of individuals whose stories intertwine while in Rome, Italy. If the all-star cast (Penelope Cruise, Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page and Alec Baldwin to name a few!) is anything to go by, this should be a great film!

Sourced from: Rotten Tomatoes

Sourced from: Rotten Tomatoes

Sourced from: Rotten Tomatoes

Sourced from: Rotten Tomatoes



Enjoy!

Rachel xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love Woody Allen so much! I agree that people either tend to love or hate him, but i think he is brilliant (apart from the daughter thing) . Annie Hall is so so wonderful, I think it's time I watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't see Annie Hall yet! I hear its a goodie though... I'll have to add it to my watch list!! :)

    ReplyDelete