An Ode to Steve McCurry


I am sure you recognize this picture of the young Afgani girl with the piercing green eyes. I can say this with confidence because it was named 'the most recognized picture in history'. It initially found its fame on the cover of National Geographic in June 1985, but has since appeared on nearly every media platform possible all around the world.

The photographer is the world renowned, Steve McCurry. He has been in the business for over 35 years and in that time, is said to have taken over a million images of interesting places and people. Many of his photos are not of typical travel destinations, but rather of war torn or poverty stricken nations. Never-the-less, these images are really striking, with many portraying a side of a country that is not typically seen in the day-to-day media.

Here are just a few examples of Mr McCurry's most recent work...


Afganistan







Sri Lanka



Yemen




Tibet



Cambodia



India






Burma




I love how culturally rich these places are - the people, the colours, the clothing and the traditions. I feel like they have so much to teach me about diversity, compassion, gratefulness and life in general. Travelling to any one of these places would, in my mind, be the ultimate experience!

Rachel xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love Steve McCurry, he is one of my favorite photographers! I wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic and he was one of the photographers who inspired me!!

    Also I want to travel to every single one of these places!! It would be such an amazing experience!

    xx

    ReplyDelete